Tuesday, October 24, 2006

The kids love Persephone!

Since I left Qwest, I have been unemployed for the past month and have been pretty much self employed during that time working on a major contract.

Anyway, during this time, I got to go with Kristi and Bear to "Kids Club". This is a periodic free show that is put on at the various Westcor shopping malls here in the Phoenix area.

In addition to the dressed character "Webster the Warthog", the show stars a local artist named Persephone. Now those who know me know that I am not musically minded where I can create music. I can't even sing on key. Anyway, I have caught a couple of Persephone's shows at the Fiesta Mall in Mesa over the month of October.

What I like about her is that she is a master at that keyboard and she can come up with very spontaneous musical bits based on what is going on and who is sitting in the audience. What really impressed me was last Monday's show where the children were dressed in Halloween costumes. While the children were "marching" around the area, she noticed a little boy in a Batman costume. The next thing you know, she stops what she is playing and breaks out into the 1960's theme from the TV series "Batman"! I am sorry, but that IS creativity!

Persephone and I have that thing in common where as we see something, we can immediately drop everything and respond to it creatively. For Persephone, it's done with her keyboard and singing where for me it's done with Photoshop or Cool Edit Pro.

So after I got back home, I decided to Google her and came across her official website http://www.demetermusic.com where I noticed that she does more than just the kid's shows at the shopping malls. She also has a beautiful cockatoo which she uses at certain types of shows.

If you are in Arizona and you have kids, I strongly suggest that you come see Persephone at one of the Westcor malls. I guarantee you that your kids and even yourself will be entertained.

I am about to start a regular job again where my schedule will conflict with Kids Club so I just want to say for the short time I have had an opportunity to see her live, Thank You Persephone for being a part of my life for a short period of time. If there's ever a break in the action, I will come see you again! For now, Kristi and little Bear are still going to see you and Webster!

1 comment:

Chris said...

Hey Michelle,

Wow, what a wonderful site! I actually became pretty good friends with Persephone and my children as well as I enjoy her performance every Thursday at the Westcor Mall in Mesa!

We've actually went to other malls she performs at because my kids LOVE Persephone and Dooper and Webster!

I've got a chance to really get to know Persephone and she is really cool and very original! I am very glad to see you trying to help Persephone out by spreading the word, I am myself and I created a Squidoo Lens about her, I even caught some footage of her at our mall. I hope linking to that here is ok with you, if not, just remove the link!

Here is my Squidoo Lens about Persephone for you and your viewers:

http://www.squidoo.com/persephone-kids-club-dooper

Thank you so much Michelle!

Chris Morris