Monday, October 30, 2006

I found diversity in the workplace in Phoenix!

After 20 very interesting years in the telecommunications industry, I had finally parted ways with my previous emloyer, Qwest Communications. I had kept my eye on my other love, the airline industry. Today, I started my entry into this industry. I have started at US Airways as a Reservations Agent.

This is not my ultimate dream job, but it is my foot in the door. It is also food on the table and benefits. Those who pass the course have some of the most extensive training within the company. After 90 days, employees may transfer to most other positions, which I plan to do. Now I admit, my last job assignment at Qwest before my departure did make me homesick to be in the centers (I did spend 12+ years on the phones already).

I chose US Airways for several reasons. The most important reason was their Corporate Equality Index rating of 100. The CEI is produced each year by the Human Rights Campaign. A GLBT watchdog group. This 100 rating means that they protect gender identity in their non-discrimination policy.

I found myself welcome during the interview and hiring process and so far in the initial training. I am happy to see other transgender employees in positions other than the front lines. This sends the right message to me.

I was impressed as I was walking into the door. Because walking in with me was a girl with her white cane and a man with his service dog. And I thought, WOW! A company that is actually adpoting adaptive technology! This never happened at Qwest!

I did speak with the site director. Apparently, they can make reasonable accommodations for totals (screen readers.. I don't know what software) and partials (extra large screens and supersive fonts). Also, the main computer system that the reservatons agents use does not require the mouse to function. They train all keyboard. This will be helpful for blind and visually impaired employees.

I was also very impressed with the diverse makeup in my class. Now, in all fairness, Qwest had diversity. But I think that US Airways has it better. If you would like to work in one of Phoenix's most diverse work environments, go check out US Airways!!!!!

2 comments:

Danny said...

Congratulations, Michelle! I'm glad that you found a great place to work!

Danny said...

Congratulations on finding a great place to work! Sounds very promising! :)